How to use Idioms, sayings / phrases??

How to use Idioms, sayings / phrases??

👐👐👐👐👐👐

Everyone is aware of what is idiom and its importance. But many of us don't know how to use in the sentence. 

To get the more clarity about it, here I have come with some  sayings , it's meanings and uses in sentences.

 1. A chip of old block-  -- a child possessing qualities of its parents.

Use in sentence

•My mother is a good cook and I am a  chip of the old block.

•James won the gold medal just like his father, he is a chip of a old block.

2. A duck in a thunderstorm--- distressed 

Use in sentence 

•  He became a duck in a thunderstorm after this incident.

• Sam looks like a duck in a thunderstorm, when I met him.

3. Without any rhym or reason---- without Sence or logic. 

Use in  sentence

•  This  fencing has been made without any rhym or reason. 

• Juli looks  mysterious  when she laughs without rhym and reason.

 

4. Put one's shoulder to the wheel -- to try one self.

Use in sentence

• Doctors , policemen, and sweeper had put their shoulders to the wheel I  time of pandemic .

• Our freedom fighters had put their shoulders to the wheel to make our India free. 

5. Wash one dirty Linen in public--- to speak in public of the unpleasant private affairs.

Use in sentence.

• My parents taught me not to wash my dirty Linen in public so I discuss my problems with family.

• I never understand why Raj always wash his dirty Linen in public. 

Use in sentence

6.Born with a silver spoon in one's mouth.- born in rich family.

• John has born with a silver spoon in his mouth so investing one lakh in business is not difficult for him.

• Spending thousands for birthday is not difficult for Shane as he has born with a silver spoon in his mouth.

7. Burn the midnight oil- work/ study until late into the night.

Use in sentence

• Being new blogger I have to burn the midnight oil to make more and more blogs.

• To achieve first position  in  state level exam , I have to burn the midnight oil . 

8. Blow one's own trumpet--- to admire oneself.

Use in sentence.

• The salesman blow his product's trumpet but aunty didn't take the product.

• I know Ramesh has habit to blow his own trumpet to get everyone's attention.

9. Burn the candle at both ends-- to spend extravagantly or resources leading by hectic life .

Use in sentence.

• Since my job is new I have to burn the candle at both the ends.

10. Beard the lion in his den - to attack a dangerous person in his own quarters.

• Asking a leave to our boss is like bears the lion in his den.

• Talking  to Principle sir is like beard the lion in his den.

11. Cut one's coat according to one's cloth---- to limit one's expenses to the money available.

Use in sentence.

• I can't understand why Steve had spent lots of on unnecessary things, he has to cut his coat according to his cloth.

• Mack is very sensible guy he always cut his coat according to his cloth.

12. Carry matters with a high  hand--- to deal with in a  strict matter.

Use in sentence.

• Teacher has to carry matters with a high hand  ,  while dealing with mischievous pupils.

• Mr. Patrick can carry matters with a high hand because he knew such types of situations.

13. Wearing one's heart on one's sleeve--- complete frank and hide nothing from other.

Use in sentence.

• Some people have a habit of wearing their hearts on their sleeves.

• we can believe in Kim as he has a habit of wearing his  heart on his sleeves.

14. Take someone under one's wing-- 

protect or care for someone.

Use in sentence.

• Bagheera always take Mowgli under his wing infront of Shere- Khan .

•  Our manager is so kind that he always takes  us under his wing at the time of crisis.

15. Throw cold water on - to discourage.

Use in sentence.

• My best friend threw cold water on my plan of  picnic .

• My mother never throws cold water on my ambitions.

 


1 Comments

  1. I love idioms! Such a colourful and interesting part of language and culture

    ReplyDelete
Previous Post Next Post