15 Regular, Useful Phrases and Their meanings with Examples

Phrases and their meanings


Use of phrases: 

Meaning and their use: 


Phrases are group of words  .It may be noun phrases, verb phrases or preposition phrases. 

Let's   learn some phrases there meaning and their uses :

1.A small fry - insignificant person

•The police did not arrest the drug dealer since he was a  small fry compared to his boss.

2.  At odds- In disagreement; conflicting, in dispute

•The witness'   statement seems to be at odds with the evidence, not a good sign for the prosecutor.

3. Bag and baggage- completely

•I could “bring up” when it was necessary; and when my labours were finished in one place, I could go on, bag and baggage, to another.


4. Be all ears- listen carefully.

•If you think you can suggest a better alternative to spending that much money, I am all ears.

• If you  are all ears to me you can understand the concept easily.


5. Bolt from the blue - A complete surprise; something totally unexpected; unexpected disaster

•The surprise appearance of Santa claus was  a blot from the blue  for children.

•The sudden visit of grandpa was a blot from the blue  for  children.


7. Bring to light- to reveal  clearly  ; to expose something.

•  The clever spy's investigation  bring to light murderers  conspiracy.

• Doctor's research  has brought to light new information about his disease.

8. By fits and starts -  at intervals

•Julia  has been working on her own  thesis in fits and starts; she needs to work on it consistently to get success

• They should work continuously for project but they are working by fits and starts.

9. Be lost in the clouds - confused.

• Children lost in the clouds at the time of exam  if they don't prepare properly.

• Tom was lost in the clouds as he doesn't know  our language.

10.  Be ill at ease - uncomfortable.

• Sharing a house with them made me  I'll at ease.

• I was ill at ease while travelling with our office  boss.

11. Burn a hole in one's pocket - money spent quickly

I go to the local Circuit City, my Visa card burning a hole in my pocket.

• Ram  always  burns  a hole in his pocket  but today he is not spending a penny also.

12. Close fisted man - miser

• Shobha is close fisted girl I have experienced of her feature when we went to Shimla.

• I am not a close fisted person so I'll spend lots of money in the holidays.

13. Cry for the moon- demand

• He never cries  for the moon  only ask  necessary things.

•I didn't pay attention to that agent as he was crying for the moon.

14. Cut and thrust - A vehement argument

• He never got used to the cut and thrust of political debate

• I really enjoyed the cut and thrust of debate.

15. See eye to eye - to agreeing with someone.

• They finally saw eye to eye  on the company's deal.

• Eventually he saw eye to eye with his father's decision.


1 Comments

  1. The background of the text is quite painful to my eyes.... If possible please change it to something more visible. Keep writing more content!

    ReplyDelete
Previous Post Next Post